Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Sophie Holiday Bookmark


I needed to make something for my sister and the Cricut Circle Magazine Challenge gave me the push to do it. A long time ago, when I was in third grade and my sister was in second grade, I fancied myself an entrepreneur. I made a little catalog of books I would illustrated and I began to sell the idea to my sisters. Only Nelly had a dollar to buy a book - 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. I really meant to illustrate a handmade book, but it was a daunting task in third grade... I think Nelly forgot about it but I haven't. So I bought her a beautiful version of 'Twas the Night before Christmas this year as one of her gifts - more than twenty years later. With the book will be this bookmark - at least, that will be handmade :)

I Used:
- Sophie Cartridge: leaf3 bookmark at 1.75 x 6, 4 pieces of leaf3 at 1.5,  4 pieces of , leaf3+shift at 1.5, and card 2+shift plain rectangle modified shape with the Gypsy for the sentiment
- Paper Trimmings Cartridge: accent2 for the pointsettia, not an actual pointsettia but I thought it looked pretty and would be a lovely substitute.  It looks a little like a snowflake, too.  :)  There is a pointsettia cut in Paper Trimmings but I need a lighter look for my flower.
- Basic Grey: Pointsettia background (Nordic Christmas) and light green rectangle (Skate Shoppe) with sentiment
- Tim Holtz : Brushed Corduroy Distressed Ink Pad
- Faerie Glass: Holly Berry
- CTMH: "Hope Love Joy" sentiment from Art Philosophy Collection
- CTMH: Baby Pink Ink Pad
- Tattered Angels: Marshmallow Mist


Here's How:I inked the edges of the bookmark with Brushed Corduroy. I carefully arranged the 8 leaf pieces on the bookmark. I put the dark green ones in the back and the lighter green leaves in the front.

The accent piece from Paper Trimmings that I intended to use as a poinsettia was too flat as just white so I inked it with CTMH's baby pink using a dauber. It also mimicked the pink in the pointsettia of the Baisc Grey Paper.  To give my flower a little dimension, I spritz it with water and worked it into the palm of my hands so that it became a kind of bowl shape. I spritz it with Marshmallow Mist for some glitz. I used a glue dot to give it dimension and placed it on the leaves. I put a drop of Glossy Accents for the Faerie Glass in Holly Berry. That finished up the pointsettia and leaves part of the bookmark. I hope you can see the glimmer in this picture:


I took the rectangle and inked the edges with Brushed Corduroy. The words are actually separate pieces but I put them together on the acrylic block. I felt they were nice sentiments for the season. I stamped it on the rectangle in black with Staz-On Black.

So there it is! A bookmark for a long awaited book... I think she will like it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I think she will like it, too! Beautiful bookmark and such a sweet story!
    Carolyn
    http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by :)